Friday, November 16, 2012

In what ways does Alton Brown's introduction (to his own book on baking) relate to writing or to journalism or to broadcasting?


The style Mr. Brown writes in is very interesting – I wouldn’t say that he wanted to write an ordinary cook book with recipes, and ingredients, and instructions people don’t like to follow. It contains a little bit of everything: stories from his past that reveal parts of his personality in general, communication with the reader which is very important if you want people to come back to your book again and again, a little bit of humor as well.  He doesn’t force anything and encourage his readers to not simply follow directions but to invent something new: he does everything that not a good cook – a good writer would do and that’s compelling.
I also noticed the little notes he left on the sides. 
I also think it’s a good trick to keep the readers entertained because sometimes we want to turn our attention to something else besides the huge blob of text. Except, of course, if the text is interesting and for that occasion Mr. Brown didn’t make those notes too obtrusive.
I can’t say that I would read the whole book but I would consider looking at something like his weekly section in newspaper if he had one.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about Alton Brown's writing. It definitely was a unique style than what most writers would try to do. I also noticed the notes on the side of his article. It made his article entertaining, which is needed in broadcast journalism. You made really good points about the two similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have some very good ideas on what Alton Brown was trying to accomplish in his introduction to his baking book. I completely agree with what you have written above. I too, find the introduction quite interesting as he explains his views on his style of baking.

    ReplyDelete